District Court in Mirzapur
To carry out the functions of these courts three court rooms, lawyers room and a litigation chamber was constructed in 1906. However, this entire process would have been incomplete without the mention of three legal luminaries – Yusuf Imam, Gangeshwar Prasad and Ambika Prasad. Yusuf Imam was the sole Barrister of the District Court in Mirzapur during those times with Gangeshwar Prasad being the first district court lawyer in the entire country. Till October 18, 1967, District Court of Mirzapur was under the jurisdiction of Allahabad High Court. It attained a new judgeship after this date. Government of Uttar Pradesh and Allahabad High Court after considering several factors like population, topography and number of cases decided to go ahead with the idea of new judgeship for the district.
Functioning of Mirzapur District Court
Six courts have been allotted to Additional District and Sessions Judges and Court of District and Sessions Judge – both having equivalent jurisdiction. The Courts have been given authority to exercise its powers on original along with the appellate side in matters related to crime and civil. For criminal cases, the courts mostly derive its judgement from Code of Criminal Procedure and IPC. The District Judge of Mirzapur also functions as the Presiding Officer on Motor Accidents Claim Tribunal. This department deals with any cases related to motor accidents.
District Court of Mirzapur has special powers to deal exclusively on certain civil and criminal matters that inferior courts in the district are not entitled to preside.
The District and Sessions Judge of Mirzapur has been assigned full authority to supervise and administer the works of all Judicial Magistrates and Judges, which also includes the power to allocate work to every judge.
District and Sessions Judge is regarded as the apex judge of the district thereby, allowing him to look over state funds that are meant for the upliftment and development of the entire Mirzapur district.
- Courts of Civil Judge (Senior Division)
- Civil Judge (Junior Division)
- Additional Civil Judge (Senior Division) – 6 Courts
- Additional Civil Judge (Junior Division) – 2 Courts
- Court of Civil Judge – Tehsil Chunar
Judicial Officers in Mirzapur
- Arvind Kumar Misra - District & Sessions Judge
- Saket Bihari 'Deepak' - Addl. District & Sessions Judge
- Vinay Kumar - Spl. J. (SC/ST, Pev.of Atroci Act)
- Sanjeev Shukla - Spl. Judge (E.C. Act)
- Anupam Kumar - Addl. District & Sessions Judge
- Shree Bhagwan Singh - Addl. District & Sessions Judge
- Anil Kumar Shukla - Chief Judicial Magistrate
- Achchhe Lal Saroj - Civil Judge (Senior Div.)
- Sudhakar Rai - Addl. Chief Judicial Magistrate
- Rakesh Kumar Singh - Addl. Civil Judge (Sr.Div.)/ACJM.
- Prakash Tiwari - Addl. Civil Judge (Sr.Div.)/ACJM.
- Rajendra Prasad Bharati - Civil Judge (Junior Div.)
- Shailender Singh - Judicial Magistrate
- Pawan Kumar Rai - Civil Judge (Junior Div.)
- Sushri Aparna Tripathi - Addl. Civil Judge (Junior Div.)
- Avanish Kumar Rai – Addl. Civil Judge (Junior Div.)
- Shiv Kumar Tiwari - Addl. Civil Judge (Junior Div.)
- Ram Mani Pathak - Addl. Civil Judge (Junior Div.)
- Sushri Shikha Rani Jaiswal - Addl. Civil Judge (Junior Div.)
Mr. Shyamji Srivastava
Sr. Administrative Officer
Distt. & Sessions Court Mirzapur
Phone No.: 05442 252346