Historical Events in Mirzapur
Though Mirzapur today stands in the list of one of the most under-developed cities in India, the place has some rich and interesting history. It is one of those rare places in northern India that remains relatively untouched by the Mughals and Nawabs ruling in earlier centuries. It was only with the entry of British East India Company that the region developed into a habitable and commercial place.
Historical evidences read out proof of civilization dating as many as 500 BCE. Painted rocks, pre-historic caves and a touch of Palaeolithic culture can be found in Mirzapur’s Belan river valley area.
Mirzapur was predominantly used as a forest meant for hunting animals by residents of nearby areas of Benaras, Vijaygadh, Shakestgadh, Nainagadh now Chunar, Rewa and Kantit.
During King Ashok’s reign, Mirzapur was considered as a trade centre. Its evidence is found on the carved stone tablets with rates of toll taxes inscribed that can be found near the Naar Ghat.
It was only in 1735, when British East India Company first established its base in the city. Mirzapur acted as a perfect trading center between western and central India. Cotton and silk were the primary trading products from the region.
British East India Company transformed Mirzapur from a jungle to a habitable city and left a mark of their presence through palatial building and the more popular Ghanta Ghar.
The Company also has a hand in the construction of the many ghats in the city like Bariya ghat and Naar Ghat among others.
Some of the developed areas in Mirzapur is named after British officials who helped majorly in the establishment of the place, such as Welleslyganj, Mukeri Bazaar after Lord Mercury, Dunkeen Ganj.
The Municipal Building is one of the finest footprints left by the British in Mirzapur.
Windham fall, a popular tourist attraction in Mirzapur also gets its name from a British official Mr. Windham.
The Ojhala Bridge in Mirzapur was constructed in 1772 by Mahant Parashuram Giri. Even today, a yearly fair is organised on the bridge.
Ojhala Bridge in Mirzapur
Finally, in 1905 a District Court was established in Mirzapur to maintain peace and grant fair justice to its residence.
District Court in Mirzapur